How do you redeem an iTunes gift card and what can you use it for? In short, an iTunes gift card is used toward the balance of purchases from the iTunes, App, Mac App, and iBooks stores on iPhone or Macbook. You can also add your Apple iTunes gift card to your Wallet app on iPhone, which will allow you to easily check the remaining iTunes balance. We’ll also cover how you can add money to your iTunes Pass for use in all the same stores as listed above. It may seem daunting, but I promise the whole process will be smooth, and you’ll easily be able to check your iTunes balance to know how much free money you have left to spend. Here’s how to redeem an iTunes gift card, and more.
There are some basic things you need to know about Apple’s gift cards and iTunes gift cards in particular. Let’s go over the important points:
- You can use your iTunes gift card to shop at any of the mobile Apple stores, which include the iTunes Store, App Store, iBooks Store, and Mac App Store.
- To use your iTunes gift card for the stores listed above, you must be logged in with the same Apple ID that you used when redeeming your iTunes gift card.
- There is a difference between an Apple Store gift card, an iTunes gift card, and an Apple Music Membership gift card. Gifts cards for the Apple Store can only be used to buy Apple hardware and accessories, while the Apple Music Membership gift card can be used for…yeah, you guessed it—an Apple Music membership.
- However, if you decide not to use an Apple Music gift card toward membership, it can be applied to your Apple ID account and used as an iTunes gift card, and vice versa—an iTunes gift card can be used to pay for Apple Music.
Now! Let’s jump into part two. We’re saving how to redeem an iTunes gift card for part three, but we want to show you how to add your iTunes gift card to Wallet on iPhone first. That way you can easily check your remaining iTunes balance and add more money to it.
How to Add Apple/iTunes Gift Card to Wallet
- Open the Wallet app.
- Tap the plus sign next to Passes.
- Select Find Apps for Wallet.
- Scroll down to the bottom, and tap the Redeem button.
- Below the option to Redeem your gift card, you’ll see a Wallet app icon and the words iTunes Pass. Tap on Get Started.
- Tap Add iTunes Pass to Wallet.
- Once the iTunes store card pops up, tap Add.
- To return to wallet, tap View iTunes Pass in Wallet.
*Note: You can add your iTunes Pass to Wallet before OR after redeeming your iTunes gift card. Since the gift card’s balance is associated with your Apple ID, the Wallet app will be able to look at the balance you have and include it in your iTunes Pass.
How to Redeem iTunes Gift Card on iPhone
You have plenty of choices when it comes to where to redeem your iTunes gift card. Ultimately it won’t really matter where you choose. But you can redeem your iTunes gift card in the App Store, the iTunes Store, or the iBooks Store on iPhone. You can also redeem your iTunes gift card in the Mac App Store on your Macbook. Regardless of where you redeem your iTunes gift card, you’ll be able to use the balance in any of the listed stores so long as the same Apple ID is associated with all of them. So, to redeem an iTunes gift card:
- Open one of the stores listed above (iTunes Store, App Store, iBooks Store, etc.) on iPhone.
- Scroll down to the very bottom of the page and select Redeem.
- Tap Use Camera and scan your iTunes gift card with your iPhone’s camera,
- OR Tap “You can also enter the code manually,” to do so. Use the the code on the back of the gift card.
- The card’s balance will then be added to your Apple ID account and will appear in Wallet via your iTunes Pass.
When you are ready to make a purchase, the amount due will automatically be deducted from your iTunes balance. Any remaining amount due will be charged to the credit card you have associated with your Apple ID.
What If I Received an iTunes Gift Card via Email?
Redeeming an iTunes gift card via email is even easier. To redeem an iTunes gift card sent by email on iPhone:
- Open the Mail app and open the email with your gifted iTunes card.
- Tap Redeem Now.
- You’ll be prompted to enter your Apple ID password.
- Once you’ve correctly entered your password, you’ll get a notice that the balance has been added to your account. It will also now show up in your Wallet via your iTunes Pass.
Now you’re ready to spend that gift card in any of the iPhone app stores. If you spend more than the gift card’s balance, the remaining amount will be charged to the credit card associated with your Apple ID.
How to Check iTunes Gift Card Balance
The reason we added an iTunes Pass to our iPhone Wallet app was so that we could easily check our iTunes gift card balance and add more money to it down the line. If you haven’t already, use part two on how to add your iTunes Gift Card to Wallet on iPhone above before using this tip to check your iTunes gift card balance.
- Open the Wallet app on your iPhone.
- Under Passes, select the iTunes Pass.
- You’ll see your balance in the top right corner of the iTunes Pass under Balance.
How to Add Money to iTunes Account
Unfortunately, there doesn’t appear to be a way to add money to your existing iTunes gift card. But there are two ways to get around this:
- With iTunes Pass in your Wallet, you can go to a physical Apple Store and get a Specialist to scan the QR code on your iTunes Pass. Then tell them how much you want to add to your balance.
- OR if you don’t want to go to the Apple Store, you can go online to apple.com/shop/gift-cards. Then choose to send an iTunes gift card via email, select the balance, and send it to your email associated with your Apple ID. Essentially you’re just buying an iTunes gift card for yourself. But if you want to have a set amount on your iTunes Pass, or that of your child’s, this is a good way to do it.
You should see >>> How To Exchange iTunes Gift Cards for Naira